Monday, June 30, 2014

La Rica Chipa Pan

Hey Fam,

So good to hear about Girl's camp, Mom. It sounds like it was a memorable one! I only had time to do a quick skim of the letter but I printed it out so that I can do a real, thorough read after cyber time of the wonderful spiritual experiences of Girl's camp.

The Title of the email: One of my favorite Argentine foods that there is. It is absolutely DELICIOUS! Chipa Pan is a little ball-shaped bread that has cheese cooked into the bread dough. They are apparently originally a Paraguayan recipe that bled over from Paraguay to Corrientes & Entre Rios Argentina. They are delicious and I try hard not to eat too many.

Today we went to Argentine Walmart, we didn't have time last week. And let me tell ya, it blew my mind to be in a walmart again. It was so big and so clean and so American, Hermana Rasband and I just looked at each other with a grin so wide with surprise! It was as thought we had been dropped onto American soil! We hurried up and down the aisles and soon realized that although it is big and clean, it is still very much Argentina. No peanut butter, Cheetos, Seedless Grapes, Chex cereal, or flip flops to be found. But we did find microwave popcorn, which made us really excited until we realized that we don't have a microwave. We started to laugh and count our blessings and buy our favorite Argentine things that were there instead--dulce de leche filled donuts, alfajores, etc. We had fun :)

Tomorrow marks 14 years that I was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints, and 1 year since I left Tacoma Washington to come to Argentina. Both anniversaries have been blessings beyond wordly description! I reflect on my life as a member of the church and my 1-year life now as a missionary in Argentina, and all I feel is just a heart full of love, spilling over with Gratitude. God is so good to me, I don't feel deserving of all of the blessings he's poured upon me all my life. My deepest desire is to share that love with others!

Yesterday, Sebastian (yeah, that really tall guy that we thought was going to rob us but turns out to be really nice) came to Church again. We hadn't been able to get ahold of him during the week until Saturday night, when we invited him once again to come. He was grinning all of sacrament meeting, and made several comments in Gospel principles, where we learned about keeping the Sabbath Day holy. The ward has been great, Hermano Alarcón and Juan Pablo Montenegro are both Priesthood Brethren that have really reached out to him and both offered to come to lessons with us this week. They are good member missionaries too because they started talking to him about baptism, and how the sacrament is the renewing our baptismal covenant. It was supernal! We have a lesson with him tonight!

Rosa, Eric's mom, also came to church! She made it to church even before we did, and Eric--in every class and meeting--was at her side helping her find the scriptures and learn how to sing the hymns. He leaned over to her during the sacrament and began explaining that the bread and water represent Jesus Christ's Body and Blood, his Atoning sacrifice for us. I offered a little prayer of great thanks during that quiet moment of Sacrament Meeting, as I sat on Rosa's other side, listening to Eric's gentle remarks, explaining everything to his Mother with such love and testimony. The Gospel Blesses Families. She still has a baptismal date for the 12th of July, this weekend if all goes well she'll have her Baptismal Interview. Thank you for your prayers!

This week I enjoyed divisions with Hermana Galán from Mexico, she is beautiful, tiny tiny tiny, sincere, but a spitfire all at once. Mexican Tinkerbell is the only way I can think to describe her. During my division with her, Priscila Mansilla, a 17-year-old Laurel from the ward, accompanied us. She wants to serve a mission in two years and is so prepared, she brought her scriptures with her to the lessons. We picked up teaching Humberto again, we crossed paths in the street the other day and he told us how much he's missed the spirit since we stopped teaching. We taught Humberto with Priscila and between her and Hermana Galán, the Spirit was surging in the room. They bore pure testimony about the power of Prayer, Priscila shared the scripture "Ask, and ye shall receive. Knock, and it shall be opened unto you" and Hermana Galán shared that Heavenly Father wants Humberto to have this goal and miracle of being baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. I am so grateful for these two women and the power of their testimonies. I love divisions because these Sisters teach me every day how to be a better missionary and where I need to improve in the language, work, faith, in discipleship.

I wanted to give an accounting for where I'm at in my summer Goals--I'm almost 3/4 way through my journal so I will be finishing that goal soon and starting yet another journal! As far as memorizing words, I'm a little behind and have only memorized 200. As for the Book of Mormon in Spanish, I'm in Helaman now, going strong. Thank you notes I've only written 4, so I've got some repenting to do. How are all of you doing in the Summer Goals you've set?

I am out of time, But know always that I love you very much!
YOU ARE LOVED!
Hermanita Boren

No comments:

Post a Comment