Friday, May 31, 2013

Buenos Dias,

HUBERTS LEMONADE IN UTAH!!!!! How wonderful! Oh, joyous day! Did you enjoy it as much as I do? :) I hope all is well still with the money and grocery challenge. Don't Starve, JP!

News is: I'm staying in the Wollochet Ward another Six weeks, here in Gig Harbor! Sister Young will be my new companion as of this afternoon. We've both only been in the field 6 weeks! AAAAAAH!!!  I'm terrified to be driving around town and teaching with such little experience between the two of us, but whom God calls, he qualifies, right? I'm a little depressed to be losing Sister Brown, we've become great friends and have a great time together while working hard. It's been a delight. I keep being blessed by so many good friends that have such conviction for the gospel and doing right and loving others. I just love her! She would sure fit in with the Boren's, we quote movies sometimes (when relevant, and when appropriate) like "I tell you what . . . WOW!" (Bartok, Anastasia) or "Anybody want a peanut?" or "Much Too Good for Children!" (Matilda. That made me think of you, Danielle). I will be here til July 10th for certain, and we'll see after that where the Lord would have me! I adore Gig Harbor and can't believe I've been granted another 6 weeks here. I feel intimidated and exhilarated at the same time. Keep the prayers coming! Love you all!

This past week has been a fantastic one. Josh's baptism was Saturday morning. Many people came to support him from the ward! Josh was beaming. His Step-uncle, Joey baptized him. Sister Brown & I bought him a journal and wrote our testimonies in the front. He maturely came to shake my hand and thank us both after the baptism. He is such a marvelous young man, every time we're over at the H. Residence Josh asks, in prayer, that Sister Brown and I will have a 'safe passage home.' His vocabulary astounds me! Anyways, the baptismal service was wonderful and uplifting. It's neat to see this young man choose to follow the Savior's example. His whole life, and the life of his family now and future family, will be effected positively by the standards he now upholds and the goals he has for the future. I am grateful to know him!

Boys, I thought you would like to know what we did for P-day yesterday. Normally we play Frisbee on p-day, but yesterday was sunny. So . . . we played volleyball with our zone (about 16 people) at the church for a while. And then we embarked on a game of ZOMBIES! Nerf guns are placed strategically throughout the church building (minus the chapel) as well as ammo. Also hidden are 4 jello packages. Two people are appointed to be zombies and are asked to go and hide. The rest of the people are asked to be humans. There is a re-spawn point (usually a classroom or a specific couch) for zombies, and a home-base for humans (like the classroom or kitchen area of the building). The point of the game (for humans) is to gather 4 hidden jello packets from throughout the building and return them to the human home base, without being caught by zombies! If you are touched by a zombie, you turn into a zombie! It was an amazing, intense game of strategy. Especially when your fellow humans turn rogue after being tagged and inflicted! Anyways, this is some of what we do on P-days to get our wiggles out and relax before returning to missionary work. We also do responsible things like laundry, letters, housecleaning, and grocery shopping.

Our ward held a fantastic memorial day breakfast yesterday! The boy scouts held it as a fundraiser, and asked each family to purchase a ticket to buy breakfast. The Thomas Family kindly bought Sister Brown and I a ticket! Despite the pouring rain, it was a blast! Some of the ward members put together a live band with their combined guitar, drum, bass, and singing talents. Young kids started a game of tag in the middle of the pouring rain. Brothers and Sisters in the ward chatted over piping hot pancakes and chocolate milk. There was an atmosphere of love and a good time. It felt like home. It felt like H's and B's and Highland 33rd ward family. This, I thought to myself, is a big part of why missionary work is so important. To bring others to this giant, loving family. We are God's children. He loves us. Why not love each other while living clean, trustworthy standards? God's standards for us? It was wonderful.

Things are well with our other investigators. Adults take a little more time than young people to search out the gospel. All things in their time, though. In precious time.

I wrote a miniature poem a few weeks ago in my journal, I thought I'd share it here:
"What is a heart?
A box, a cradle. A cradle for the cares of a human life, the solemn desires and frivolous wishes of yesterday
and tomorrow.
And the passion for today.
The reminder of what is Real
and what is wanted--not just by the body,
but the soul.
Wanted of the soul."

I share this because I'm realizing more and more lately the capacity we each have--that I have--to love others. To love them as Christ does. To cast away things that don't hold lasting happiness, and make room to care about other people. In 1st Nephi, When Lehi leaves Jerusalem with his family, all he takes are provisions and his Family. He leaves gold, silver, property, etc. behind.  We take similarly scant things with us beyond death. The provisions we take with us after this life will be the memory of our works on earth and the knowledge we've gained--especially spiritual knowledge. Fill your minds and hearts with the best thoughts and desires.

Love you all THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS much!
Con Amor,
Hermana Boren
Sister Boren
Mik
Mickey Moo Face
etc . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment